Design Principles - Project 1 : Self Portrait 1

29.08.2022 - 30.09.2022 / Week 6 - Week 8

Hisham Rasheed / 0356767
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Self-Portrait




INSTRUCTIONS

1. Create your own A4 self-portrait, and apply design principles knowledge.
    - Write a 150-200 words rationale for your final idea.
2. Upload both designs in a PDF file in your blog.
3. Send your blog link here.
4. Your blog must be in your actual name for easy identification. Make sure it has:
    a) Visual research
    b) Idea Exploration
    c) Feedback from the lecturer
    d) Final design outcome (pictures must be neatly cropped and must not be shadowy/blurred)
    e) Brief reflection for the week

Materials: Any medium. Digital is allowed.

Contemplate your life experiences, which include your culture, your family, your friends, your school days, your favorite hangouts, your favorite music, food, musician, etc. Observe your surroundings, people, vehicles, buildings, plants, signages, nature, and activities. Record these in sketches, photography, and/or video recording. Study all the visuals that you had collected. Select visuals that you find relevant and interesting to you, which you can translate into a design work to create a portrait of yourself. Remember to apply design principles in your work.



Mind Map

VISUAL RESEARCH

Fig 1
https://pin.it/3KkLvOw


Fig 2
https://pin.it/4Q9YPXC


Fig 3
https://pin.it/3echnFe


Fig 4
https://pin.it/5DMbAGj


Fig 2 and 3 is an example of how I design my designs as simple lines and curves also contrast colors.

Fig 4 is what helped me to get an idea of how my design was gonna be done and reflected.

Progress

I decided to do mine by sketching an over the shoulder shot of me playing a Nintendo switch but the display of the game will be showing a portrayal of me as in the game.

Fig 5 rough Sketch


Fig 6 sketch of what's happening inside the screen




Final Outcome

My final design portrays my interest in gaming where in the game I am the character and is been played by me as it shows how I control my life in it.

Fig 7 final design

Fig 8 shows a close-up image of the design where the game characters me is infused by a cassette saying life on my tongue which shows how I like music and it's related to my life. I used contrasting colors because I visualize colors similarly in games when I play.


Fig 8 close up of the design




Feedback

week 7 : I was asked to show more visual refrence relating to my final designs and have a briefed explanation behind my design and to set up my blog properely.




Reflection

Experience : this assignment has thought me to take a look at my intrests and hobbies and interpret with my design and design principles. I have improved my sketching digitally and got a chance to play with colors and texts. The project was valuable and practical as it thought me how to work within restrictions and experiment with new ways of expressing my intrests as well as how to project it through a design.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography / Final Compilation

Advanced Typography / Task 1 / Exercises: Typographic Systems & Type & Play

Sonic Design: Final Project