Sonic Design: Final Project

Hisham Rasheed / 0356691 / BDCM

Sonic Design

Final project: Game audio


Task

For this project, we are tasked with selecting one of five gameplay videos and creating our own sounds to sync with the video. Every interactive and background element in the video must be audible. The sounds cannot be taken from elsewhere; they must be created by me. 


Audio list and storyboard 

Fig 1.1 Chosen video: Hollow Nights

Fig 1.2 Audio List

I chose a 1-minute gameplay video called Hollow Knight because it appears to be the most captivating to me. I began by watching the video several times and noting what kinds of sounds are required. 

Audio Recording

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18A3hs3AO_vzp-XKDTVYsZHPuabnmy5z3?usp=sharing

I planned and recorded all the audio needed for the project with my iPad at home. I cut down the whole audio tracks into 11 tracks required for the video, then did noise reduction on all the tracks.

Fig 2.1 Noise reduction

The whip sound was recorded with whipping a badminton racket for the sword. And the walk and when the MC lands after the jump sounds was a small cardboard box hitting the table surface. For the jump, I decided to drag a sock across my sheets to get a controlled drag and make it sound like jumping in the air. The most challenging sound was the bird's sound, I used my hairdryer attachment which was a plastic piece, and scraped it along the wall to get that sound.

The big enemy in the final scene, I decided to record two different mixtures of audio effect which is first the hitting sound and then the impact on the body sound, I managed to do that by recording my badminton racket hitting a wet cloth for the hitting sound and squeezing the wet cloth for the impact on the body.

There is a glop-like structure where the MC hits it several times to eliminate it and collect coins, I used my badminton racket again to hit several layers of paper and blanket to get a heavy sound effect, and the points sound was recorded by putting a bunch of coins in a plastic zip lock and shook them. I used shredded paper to make the sound of hitting the birds by putting all of them in a bag and shaking them with efficient force.

Audio Processing


Fig 3.1 Audio parameters


Fig 3.2 Multitrack mixdown

I made the necessary adjustments on Adobe Audition and exported all the audio tracks individually,

and imported the video and audio on Premier Pro to adjust accordingly to the video.


Fig 3.3 Timeline

All the audio effects were done on Adobe Audition only the placements were done on Premier Pro.

Final Game audio

Fig 4.1 Final Game Project mp4



Reflection

Creating Foley recordings for a 1-minute gameplay project was a captivating journey into the world of sound design. The meticulous process of matching real-world sounds to on-screen actions highlighted the importance of timing and synchronization. It wasn't just about replication; it was about enhancing the gaming experience.


This project showcased the creative aspect of sound design, encouraging experimentation with everyday objects to produce unique auditory elements. Foley's recording underscored the storytelling potential of audio, emphasizing how well-crafted sound effects can elevate player immersion and emotional engagement.


In essence, the experience deepened my understanding of the intricate relationship between sound and visuals, fostering a newfound appreciation for the art of Foley recording in multimedia production

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography / Final Compilation

Advanced Typography / Task 1 / Exercises: Typographic Systems & Type & Play